Tuesday 1 July 2014

Olivaceous Warbler

Eastern Olivaceous Warbler Hippolais (Iduna) pallida by Igor Maiorano
Ortolan Bunting Emberiza hortulana
This morning I was brought to see a breeding pair of OLIVACEOUS WARBLERS in Istria (Croatia). Saw at least one adult bringing food to 2-3 juvs. Also got to know their calls and song - direct comparison with Melodious Warblers breeding nearby. No opportunities to take photos, so above is a pic from Egypt by Igor Maiorano (hence the exotic tree).
Olivaceous Warbler is a mystery species that has been recorded as a breeding bird in the coastal part of Slovenia in the past. But in the last few years there have been just occasional records of vagrant birds. I tried to catch up with this species in the past, having checked unsuccessfully the known breeding sites. It also eluded me as a migrant bird in Egypt, so today I was happy to finally see it, although I had to go to Croatia.
In the same area I was also glad to hear a Fan-tailed Warbler (Zitting Cisticola), a species which had a marked decline both in Italy and Slovenia. I think I last saw one several years ago. Good to see were also up to 4 or 5 Golden Orioles feasting on a fig tree, a Wryneck, some Turtle Doves and a couple of Tawny Pipits.
The Ortolan Buntings on the Karst are otherwise doing well. Seen a few fledged and grown juveniles, which are now looking more similar to the adults. Also the Golden Eagle chick in the nest is pretty big. Still up to 5-6 Hoopoes around, but they'll be due to departure soon...