Friday 14 November 2014

White-backed Woodpecker

White-backed Woodpecker Dendrocopos leucotos ssp. lilfordi, Mt. Snežnik (Slovenia).
November is usually a very quiet month bird-wise, unless you go to look for something really special. White-backed Woodpecker IS special, so here I posted a couple more pics of this amazing and rare species (taken on Sunday).
Today I was out on the Karst and saw 2 Great Grey Shrikes Lanius excubitor and several Bullfinches Pyrrhula pyrrhula, which were probably the day's highlight. I'm not really used to see them on the Karst. In fact they are quite scarce at low latitudes. But this autumn I already had one (a week ago). It may be a good winter for them. Yesterday also my first Rooks Corvus frugilegus of the winter season, in the lowlands of Friuli (NE Italy).